canberrabirds

Spotted Turtle-Dove - Should I shoot it?

To: <>
Subject: Spotted Turtle-Dove - Should I shoot it?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:53:13 +1100

wip 1a.jpg

From: Ian Fraser [
Sent: Monday, 9 February 2009 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Spotted Turtle-Dove - Should I shoot it?

My subjective answer will obviously be 'yes, shoot it'; I won't reiterate what I've already said in the recent Gang-gang Whimsy. Richard, I'm happy to help, but am unsure what further info you need beyond what was in that article. I think the Adelaide experience alone is compelling, but the other situations cited also are pretty relevant I'd have thought. However, it might be more useful to hear from others - Honourable COG Committee? :-)

cheers

Ian

Richard Summerrell wrote:

A couple of weeks ago a STD appeared on my block and has stayed around the house ever since. It is solitary and calls incessantly. In the back of  my mind I seem to remember reading that it is invasive (sorry if I’m using weed language, but it’s weeds that I spend most of my time fighting). I note that it is mentioned as a cause of concern in Gang-Gang, but I don’t have the ‘pigeons’ volume of HANZAB, so I don’t understand in what way it is invasive or undesirable.

Can someone please tell me why it is such an undesirable species, and if I should grit my teeth and shoot it, despite its beauty.

Thanks

Richard (member of COG)

Frogmore, NSW (50 mins south of Cowra)

Checked by AVG.

Ian Fraser,
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Wordsmithing
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 61 2 6249 1560  fax: 61 2 6247 3227
---