canberrabirds

Kambah Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo with dependant young repeat visit

Subject: Kambah Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo with dependant young repeat visit
From: Suzanne Tunks <>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:02:26 +1100
The Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo with dependant young was back a couple of days ago - again feeding on the seeds of the Banskia marginata.  The young bird still going with its continual drone of begging whilst mum broke open cone after cone.  I was thinking that the Silver Banskia seems to be a plant little used in Canberra gardens, even though it is the only banksia that occurs in this region.  This is my observation of Tuggeranong and Woden, perhaps it is different on the north side?  Even though it grows naturally as part of the cooler montane wet sclerophyll forest, it works down here in lowland Canberra.  The repeated appearance of the YTBC is a good advertisement for its use as a garden plant and I know that my neighbour, who originally planted it in her garden, is thrilled at their arrival to feed.

A Fan-tailed Cuckoo visited in a nearby tree whilst all this was going on.  Happy snaps attached - total size 95 KB.

Matthew Frawley

JPEG image

JPEG image