canberrabirds

Mulligan's Flat: Sunday January 4th

Subject: Mulligan's Flat: Sunday January 4th
From: Milburns <>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 22:55:00 +1100
This account strikes me as an interesting companion experience to Marnix's posting from yesterday. I encountered groups of Red-capped Robins, including juveniles, at 3 locations but they were very difficult to find in the binoculars. Having encountered a breeding pair at Mt Ainslie recently and taking into account Marnix's report form Goorooyaroo yesterday it looks as though this species has established itself on the northeastern flank of the ACT. Maybe if it rains enough they will go away again :). I recorded more Speckled Warblers than I can recall from recent seasons (interestingly in pairs) and a large group (about 15) of Yellow Thornbills. Leaden Flycatchers were abundant along the Old Coach Road. Pallid Cuckoos were still vocal in the area of the old Shearing Shed. White-throated Gerygones and Rufous Whistlers were incredibly abundant. I reckon that the Superb Parrots must have all moved to Forde. The new Mulligan's Flat car park was dripping with them this evening.
Despite intensive effort no sign of a Painted Honeyeater.

regards
Milburn