canberrabirds

Update on Bateman's Bay (BB)

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Update on Bateman's Bay (BB)
From: Dimitris Bertzeletos <>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 07:05:39 +0200
Hello all and Happy New Year,

Just a quick e-mail to let you know that the birding has been generarly good sightings/ notices of interest are as follows:

1) Topknot Pigeon: Last sighting of the species was on the afternoon of 28-12-08 with one individual flying over Cullendulla Creek (CC). I haven't seen the species since and I don't think I will again until next year when the Tea Trees are in fruit again.

2) Figbirds 4+ Individuals still easy to see around BB and the Water Gardens

3) Common Koel: No juveniles so far this year and the birds are calling less and less. No Channel-bills so far.

4) Red-necked Stint 1) at CC on the 31st. Some movements with waders going on with the Barwit and Eastern Curlew flock flactuating stlightly in numbers

5) Osprey. One bird fairly regularly over CC, last seen on the 1st

6) Peregrines and Hobbies. Both species present over the creek. Beware of a very large female Hobby, can very easily be confused with one of the Peregrines.

7) Honeyeaters. Some local movements occuring now as the chicks fledge.

That's all for now! :)

Dimitris