canberrabirds

Mt Rogers, Superb Parrots, suspected BQ &c

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Mt Rogers, Superb Parrots, suspected BQ &c
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:53:12 +1100
I dropped by Mt Rogers this evening, hoping to find some
photographable Superb Parrots. Although about 30 birds flew over while
I was walking about I could find any actually feeding on the Hill.

In one spot in sparse grass near the car park I disturbed a probable
Button Quail. It was minute, and it flew only a short distance before
hovering and dropping into the grass again, like other BQs I have
seen. I didn't see white undertail-coverts (but the light was very
bad). I suppose it's equally likely to have been Painted or Little.

Common Bronzewings were duetting with their low hoots, I think they
might be about to release a CD for the new age market.

Another notable sight was a very large Brown Snake that was intent on
some snake task and completely ignored me as it flowed past at great
speed.
--
John Leonard
Canberra