canberrabirds

Intriguing semantics

To: "martin butterfield" <>, "COG List" <>
Subject: Intriguing semantics
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:17:29 +1100
I have always (well for the last 30+ years) associated the 'agonistic' in animal behaviour as relating to aggression. Sure that can include or be related to competition but is something else. Competition can occur without contact but 'agonistic' refers to actual fighting or display or other actions connected with fighting or tension reduction to avoid fighting. That magnificent and seminal book "Sociobiology" by Edward O Wilson (Harvard 1975) defines 'agonistic' as "Referring to any activity related to fighting, whether aggression or conciliation and retreat" (page 578).

It is indeed a curious thing that, as Martin rightly says, the prefix 'ant' doesn't really work in this case as it normally would. I suspect there must have been something else going on in the etymology of either "agonistic" or "antagonistic", as they are clearly not opposites. Indeed the most obvious difference is: the former is used in biology and carries a technical and non-emotional use and the other is used to describe people and to me at least, carries moralistic or judgemental overtones.