canberrabirds

Superb Parrot Records

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Superb Parrot Records
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:00:50 +1100
Its great to see people reporting Superb Parrots on the chatline.  Please would people get these records to the COG database, by competing a data sheet or entering the data direct from COGs website.

We need members help here to try to get a fuller picture of the use of areas in Canberra by these birds for breeding, foraging and post breeding, when young birds are brought into the suburbs eg Belconnen areas. This is really important - we need to know where the birds are going and what they are doing there, location details and notes on use of areas for foraging, how many young etc.  All this can be provided on the data sheet.

There has been an expansion of SPs in recent years into the northern Canberra area and suburbs (from the traditional area around Hall), and there is an emerging conservation isssue with destruction of many mature eucalpyts and patches of trees in Gungahlin, especially Harrison, Crace and other new suburbs to be developed.  The ACT Action Plan for SPs, (a threatened species in ACT, also under Commonwealth legislation), is out of date, is not achieving the level of protections needed, and there is dysfunction in the process within the ACT Government in dealing with the issue of habitat protection for SPs vis a vis development.

COG has had discussions with ACT Gov officials and we are about to write to the Environment Minister.  Chris Davey and I have also discussed the situation with Superb Parrot experts, and we are developing several strategies to respond to the problem.  One of the ideas is to undertake SP monitoring in the next breeding seasons 2009 and 2010 (eg Gungahlin Belconnen, but also other areas such as Molonglo Valley if we have enough people), to map their habitat use, breeding areas, foraging habitat areas, corridors used to travel thru suburbs etc and also to get a better idea of the numbers.

So please support COGs efforts to get more data on SPs.

cheers
Jenny

Jenny Bounds
ph 02 6288 7802