canberrabirds

[POSSIBLE SPAM] Birds seen in Tumut

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: [POSSIBLE SPAM] Birds seen in Tumut
From: Geoff Bowen <>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 23:55:15 +0000
Hi all

I realise Tumut is not exactly in the ACT, but I don't know of any birders in that area, so Canberra seems to hold the nearest concentration, so if this is too far off topic, please forgive me !

I have in-laws in Tumut and this was the 5th time I'd visited Australia & Tumut in particular. It's a pleasant little town that I've grown quite fond of. I have never seen anything on any list about Tumut, so I have had to find places to bird for myself. I have spent most time birding the area at the end of Boonderoo Road, which leads west off the Snowy Mountains Highway at the south end of town. Where the bitumen ends is a series of tracks that lead up into a dry forested area, where I have recorded the following:

Wedge-tailed Eagle
Black-shouldered Kite
Whistling Kite
Brown Goshawk
Peregrine
Masked Lapwing
Common Bronzewing
Peaceful Dove
Gang-gang Cockatoo
Australian King Parrot
Crimson Rosella
Eastern Rosella
Red-rumped Parrot
Tawny Frogmouth
Laughing Kookaburra
Sacred Kingfisher
Black-faced Cuckooshrike
Blackbird
Rufous Songlark
White-throated Treecreeper
Superb Fairy Wren
White-browed Scrubwren
Speckled Warbler
Brown Thornbill
Buff-rumped Thornbill
Yellow-rumped Thornbill
Yellow Thornbill
Striated Thornbill
Weebill
White-throated Gerygone
Willie Wagtail
Grey Fantail
Restless Flycatcher
Crested Shrike-Tit
Golden Whistler
Rufous Whistler
Grey Shrike-Thrush
Olive-backed Oriole
Australian Raven
White-winged Chough
Silvereye
Scarlet Robin
Eastern Yellow Robin
Spotted Pardalote
Striated Pardalote
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-eared Honeyeater
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
Fuscous Honeyeater
White-plumed Honeyeater
White-naped Honeyeater
Black-chinned Honeyeater
Noisy Friarbird
Eastern Spinebill
Red Wattlebird
Varied Sittella
Goldfinch
Red-browed Finch
Double-barred Finch
White-browed Woodswallow
Dusky Woodswallow
Australian Magpie
Pied Currawong
Satin Bowerbird
Both Woodswallows (pairs each) were seen mobbing a Currawong in a most animated and persistent way leaving me with the impression they were nesting close by.

I'm sure that this area holds more than is contained in this list. Try to imagine what it's like having to try to remember a familiar sounding call (e.g. White-throated Treecreeper) than you know you know but can't quite align the call with the caller because it's a year or so since last you heard it ! That's what I face each time I visit Oz, and thus I waste a fair bit of time trying to track down a call that I think could be interesting, but really turns out to be something not so unusual that I have just forgotten ! Still, each trip I manage to eliminate a couple of these !

There is one other spot that I have spent a little time in the last couple of visits, the Riverglade Wetland which is adjacent to the Snowy Mountain Highway at the north end of town next to the caravan park. This looks like a promising area, but the management plan (on the Tumutshire web site) is a long way short of complete, but does hold some interesting birds:

Little Pied Cormorant
Pied Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Australian Pelican
Darter
Eastern Great Egret
White-faced Heron
White-necked Heron
Australian White Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Maned Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Australian Shoveler
Grey Teal
Whistling Kite
Australian Hobby High over Wetland
Nankeen Kestrel
Purple Gallinule
Coot
Dusky Moorhen
Black-fronted Dotterel
Masked Lapwing
Galah
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Eastern Rosella
Little Corella
Laughing Kookaburra
Sacred Kingfisher Visiting a nest hole ?
Rainbow Bee-eater 2 birds along the river - a pair ?
Dollarbird Apparent pair
Welcome Swallow
Black-faced Cuckooshrike
Australian Reed Warbler
Little Grassbird Bird carrying food along river bank
Superb Fairy Wren
White-browed Scrubwren
Brown Thornbill
White-throated Gerygone At least 3 maybe 6 singing males
Willie Wagtail
Grey Fantail
Magpie Lark
Rufous Whistler
Australian Raven
Silvereye
Jacky Winter
Scarlet Robin
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Noisy Friarbird
Red Wattlebird
Starling
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Red-browed Finch
Australian Magpie

Most of this last list was made during the last visit at the end of November just gone, and includes sightings from the adjoining Sewage Treatment Works.

If there's anything here that really ought to be reported elsewhere, please get in touch so I can pass this on.

No doubt I will be back in Tumut sometime in the near future, perhaps a little earlier in spring if possible so I can get more singing birds at the beginning of the breeding season.

Cheers

Geoff Bowen
Norwich, UK
******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, email <>