canberrabirds

Rachael Carson would have had a fit.

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Rachael Carson would have had a fit.
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:10:09 +1100
Haven't been birding afield this weekend due to temporary termination of tepid springtime but indulged  in the armchair variety, poring through a favorite book, "The Complete Falconer" by Frank L. Beebe, who appears to be a North American guru of falconry, and he's not bad at depicting the subject with pen & ink and paint brush either.  The style of his paintings, particularly those of raptors on the wing, remind my untrained and inartistic mind of those in Penny Olsen's "Spirit of the Wedge-Tailed Eagle - The art of Humphrey Price-Jones."

However, Beebe puts forth an astonishing hypothesis insomuch (if I'm reading him correctly) he maintains DDT had no affect on Peregrine populations. Rachael Carson would have had a fit. Anyhow, for what it's worth, his argument goes like this:

"1966-67-68 falcon population surveys were funded and fielded for the Canadian Arctic and Pacific Coast, Alaska, Greenland, California and Baja Peninsula. Micrometer shell-thickness measurements of pre-DDT eggs in private and museum collections across North America were taken. The average shell thickness was then calculated and used as a baseline against which post-DDT eggshell thicknesses were measured."

"Birds' eggs in collections are not really preserved eggs; they are but eggshells from which the real egg content has been forced out through a small hole drilled in the shell, by means of air under pressure. [ Hey! I've known that since I was a branchling.] I have prepared many museum egg specimens and I know that only strong, heavy-shelled eggs survive this pressure-preparation process. Therefore, there is a tendency for most eggshells in collections to have greater than normal shell thickness."

"Against this biased baseline, it was predictable that post-DDT eggshells would go on record as being thin-shelled Sure enough they were. All the falcon populations surveyed were reported as declining or "precariously" close to "catastrophic declines". All were reported as having broken eggs, or thin-shelled eggs. All had high levels of DDT in fat samples or from brain tissue of adult peregrines and in most eggs tested. The "imminent  crash" of the Arctic population was considered as a certainty. More than twenty years later [now ~ 35 years ] this has still not occurred."

I'm happy to believe Beebe is correct on this last point And I understand that the Peregrine is no longer on the endangered list in the States but don't know about Canada, only a few decades ago I don't think they had a federal act pertaining to endangered species. However, some sub species were lost in areas of the U.S and populations replaced with birds from elsewhere. Still I wonder how an ostensibly intelligent person like Beebe went down the path he did with this issue.  After all he was up against some fairly erudite scientific opinion rather than a Greenpeace/Monkey-Wrench-Gang bunch of radical owlhoots. Maybe he held shares in DuPont Chemicals.

John K. Layton.