canberrabirds

FW: Pinnacle Walk...Sunday 23rd- Preliminary Notice [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: FW: Pinnacle Walk...Sunday 23rd- Preliminary Notice [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:27:12 +1100

Greetings!
This is a preliminary notice in that both Benj & I have been trying to put ideas onto paper with only partial success. But, at this time of the year, it's important to find a date in the hope that most people can attend before their diaries get clogged!!  It's open to all .
We have a fairly recent bird list and an older native plants list.

                                            THE PINNACLE  A    RE-CONNECTING AND INTERPRETIVE  WALK
   WITH THE FIELD NATURALISTS ASSOCIATION OF CANBERRA

On 25th May members of the Field Naturalists and the Canberra Ornithologists' Group took part in a walk on The Pinnacle starting from the eastern entrance off Springvale Drive, Hawker.
One of the reasons behind this activity was that it's hoped to re-form an environmental group focussing on The Pinnacle.
In turn, the reasons for this ambition include
  • the limbo relating to the existence of a previous Parkcare-type group
  • the area's potential to be a high quality nature reserve with significant links to the Central Molonglo Valley & its endangered grassy woodlands
  • the large number of local residents and visitors who value the area, enjoy its views, wildlife and restorative open space
  • Canberrans' increasing isolation from the natural world that is personally & socially debilitating
  • an urgent need for rehabilitation work through weed-control, erosion control, species surveys, wildlife monitoring
At this stage talks with "Environment ACT" * about the reinstating of a Pinnacle environmental group are still pending as there have been staff changes.
We are hoping that strong links can be formed and maintained with those who energetically and persistently work to restore vegetation and control weeds on neighbouring Mt Painter. Their enthusiasm for and expertise in tackling similar problems to those we face is legendary.

We  therefore invite you to take part in either or both of two short  walks on Sunday November 23rd.
They will be (slow) Field-Nats-paced walks observing any flowering plants, vegetation, birds and reptiles that are around by late spring-early summer.
We'll be sharing knowledge, sightings and good company, taking photos  and discussing the state of the reserve as it moves into the challenges of another long hot, dry summer.

Details   10am meeting at Dungowan Street, Hawker and 3.30pm ,meeting at Springvale Drive, Hawker (opposite the end of De Salis Street).

I have already had two apologies (!) but the objective of this email is to re-establish links and create a potential active network of those wishing to be involved.
Best wishes,

Rosemary (Blemings)

* Parks, Conservation and Lands'  Community Programs Officer.

------
IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain sensitive and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------