canberrabirds

Tour des Brindies etc

To: "COG List" <>
Subject: Tour des Brindies etc
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:18:54 +1100
Having a few hours on hand today I decided to head for Warks Road.  However there are a few interesting places en route so I took some mileage readings as I went in case they are helpful in planning a "bird route".  It could be termed "In search of Rarities Past"
  0.0 km The Lodge.
10.7 km  Stromlo Forest Park: White-fronted Chat, Australian Pipit; Skylarks
22.6 km  Urriara Crossing North: Black-fronted Plover (2).  No Common Sandpiper as per last two years.
29.0 km  Urriara Homestead Dam:  Rufous Songlark, Hardhead.  No Black-tailed Native Hen.
44.9 km  Blundell's Creek Road:  Eastern Whipbird (first of many), Rose Robin.
47.3 km  Warks Rd: Australian King Parrot, Flame Robin (2), Superb Lyrebird (at least two calling and shaking a tail feather), Satin Flycatcher (4+- very active males but no sign of females or nests); Satin Bowerbird (up in trees - 3 green and 1 blue).  No Cicadabird, my primary target, despite some playback - I hope no-one else has recorded a 'heard' record of that species in that area this morning.  I have concluded that the species does not exist! .

A little later in the day I swung by Kellys to look at the birds with three nests and found also, from that part of the taxonomy, a Great Egret, Glossy Ibis, Straw-necked Ibis and Australian White Ibis.  Also 4 Shelduck and the usual summer suspects.

Martin