canberrabirds

Whistlers, Fantails etc

To: Rod's Gardening <>
Subject: Whistlers, Fantails etc
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:03:00 +1100
Sue Matthews and I blitzed the Pinnacle area up at Hawker on Sunday and recorded 53 species in all. The highlights were 2 pairs of Leaden Flycatchers (one pair probably nesting next door to a pair of N. Friarbirds), a pair of S. Kingfishers, 5 Southern Whiteface, 5 Grey Fantails (fewer than usual, I think), 3 Dollarbirds, 2 Speckled Warblers (probably 2 pairs), 3 Varied Sitellas, one male Rufous Whistler singing lustily, Brown-headed and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, and a solitary Diamond Firetail. We dipped on the W-T Gerygone, which has been calling up there for a couple of weeks now, and I had hoped to get all 5 of the local thornbills, but couldn't find the Browns or Yellows that I've seen up there recently. I also thought that things were pretty quiet early on, though the morning was generally very good, with the Kingfishers and S. Whiteface particularly pleasing.

John

Rod's Gardening wrote:
I recorded 42 species during 4 hrs paddle-blitzing Jerra Creek and environs on Sat morning.  Of the species being discussed I wrote down 20 Wood Ducks, 6 Rufous Whistlers (only one female actually sighted but calling was well spread out over the distance covered) and 12 Grey Fantails which were also very vocal.  I suspect numbers were actually much higher.

Also seen were at least 2 Sacred Kingfishers and a pair of WW Trillers.  Sue and Julian who were patrolling the area on foot flushed several Latham's Snipe incl one which apparently passed right in front of me - probably dismissed by me as just another duck.  I also missed out on the Sea Eagle they saw.

The (presumed) Whistling Kite nest looks further advanced than 6 weeks ago, and although there was at least 1 WK patrolling I didn't see any activity in or at the nest.  The WK at one stage was harassed by 5 Masked Lapwings, and in turn a little later flushed 15 Masked Lapwings as it cruised overhead.  Another interesting observation was an unmistakeable WK call served up by a Blackbird in the middle of its repertoire.

Reed Warblers were prolific, buzzing in and out of the streamside vegetation like bees.  I wrote down 30 but again that number would be conservative.

Cheers

Rod