canberrabirds

Could Blitz data be used as indicators of drough impact?

To: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>, "chat line" <>
Subject: Could Blitz data be used as indicators of drough impact?
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:56:49 +1100
As always what you find can be very dependent on the sites you survey.  For example there are currently about 4 each of the Rufous Whistler and Grey Fantail on my regular patch at the NW end of Cooleman Ridge, but hardly any Noisy Friarbirds, and for the first time this year since we returned after the fires no Rufous Songlarks and only the odd White-winged Triller so far.  On the other hand Rufous Whistlers were relatively common at my blitz sites in the Cotter Hut area, and surprisingly about 10 Sacred Kingfishers were observed, including at one stage 4 (perhaps 5) actively chasing each other giving their alternative call I associate with breeding activity.

Based on my observations at Cooleman Ridge and yesterday I agree the drought is continuing to bite with numbers down this year compared with previous.  And yes, no surprise, I strongly support the monitoring of Canberra Nature Park and other blitz sites in a consistent fashion each year as one way to be able to discern trends and the effects of weather etc.

Jack Holland