canberrabirds

hiding from the blitzers

To: "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: hiding from the blitzers
From: "Yarden Oren" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:21:08 +1100

Thursday afternoon the kids (4.5 and 7) came rushing into the house
announcing there is a bird they don't know in the garage, and showing me
they took a photo of it with their digital camera.

When I got out there the Boobook was frantically banging against a window
and then managed to fly out, unfortunately for him. Within minutes it was
mobbed by every magpie, currawong and wattlebird within a km of our Watson
house. They managed to chase him so that he banged into trees and fell twice
to the ground. Eventually he managed to hide in tree with aerial
bombardments continuing. At some point he probably managed to slip away as
the commotion stopped and everyone went back to their own business.

That is a first for our garden, and the closest to here I have seen Boobooks
is at the Mt Majura foothills about 2 kms away.

Unfortunately too, too early for the blitz