canberrabirds

Saturday Bird Survey

To: <>
Subject: Saturday Bird Survey
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:22:10 +1000
I attended the below mentioned quarterly Sullivans Creek Bird Survey on both Saturday and Sunday (because there weren't enough participants to do the important sites on just Saturday).

Mostly fairly routine birds but it was nice to see a very pally pair (M & F) of Collared Sparrowhawks near to the ANBG, which I think would be considering nesting there. If anyone has the time and interest to look for a nest, I can tell them the details of where, off line (it is an easy site to get to). About 2 hours later and much higher up the hill a nice view of a Brown Goshawk. These, with close looks at an Olive-backed Oriole and Leaden Flycatchers and a few other things were especially nice, mainly in that I was accompanied on both the surveys by a "beginner".

On the Sunday we found a Satin Bowerbird building a nest at the top of a Melaleuca adjoining the path besides Sullivan's Creek and a pair of Eastern Water Rats (I wonder if they are well known there).