canberrabirds

rainbow lorikeets breeding at Farrer Ridge

Subject: rainbow lorikeets breeding at Farrer Ridge
From: "Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc." <>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:44:09 +1000 (EST)

a member of the public alerted me to a pair of rainbow lorikeets which are breeding on Farrer Ridge.  for those who might want to check them out (I saw the birds this morning) the closest entry point is end of Muresk St in Farrer.  when you get to the point where a number of paths meet there is a step through gate and an old wooden step through only a few metres apart. birds are in a large tree which is in front of you (right near the Scribbly Gum woodland sign) if you stand with your back to the gate.  there seemed to be a lot of territorial disputes going on - as well as the pair of lorikeets there were noisy friarbirds (peering into the lorikeets' hollow), red wattlebirds, king parrots, eastern rosellas and crimson rosellas, all in same tree and chasing or being chased.
try to avoid parking near the horsegate on Athllon Dr - where I did - apart from the fact its a much longer walk in to where the lorikeets are nesting, there's a very aggressive magpie guarding the horse gate- on my way out he was distracted by an unlucky  cyclist, but he had a couple of serious goes at me when I arrived.  It's also possible to park along Sulwood Drive (opposite start of Gaunson Cres) and walk up a track, but again, longer route than starting in Muresk St (although I didn't check out the parking in Muresk).

Sandra Henderson

Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc.
PO Box 301
Civic Square ACT 2608