canberrabirds

Currawongs (unintentionally) do something useful!

To: COG-L <>
Subject: Currawongs (unintentionally) do something useful!
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:07:09 +1100
While digging in the garden this afternoon I heard a pied currawong calling followed by a swoosh and some bill snapping.  The bird appeared at first glance to be swooping a broken branch in our biggest yellow box.  On closer looking it was a tawny frogmouth taking the action, posing on a branch close to where they sit in the evenings when hunting.

In Canberra today I visited: Cooleman Ridge to see no Regent Honeyeater (but nice blossoms and lots of red wattlebirds); Stromlo Forest Park to see the White-fronted chats (sorry, failed on that but did see and hear many skylarks and pipits); and Acacia Inlet Park, in the hope of a Little Bittern or a Great Crested Grebe (but instead saw some dusky Woodsallows working over an inquisitive Australian Raven).

BTW: the 'n' missing from 'Friends' in my last message has turned up: here it is - n - insert it if you wish!!  :-)

Martin