canberrabirds

Fossil bird-ancestor - recent announcement

To: "COG bird discussions" <>
Subject: Fossil bird-ancestor - recent announcement
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 00:28:05 +1000
My fellow Nature Blogger,  Christopher Taylor (a taxonomist in training - likely to become a famous one, I am guessing) has posted an interesting message about "A New Stem-Bird and Publication in the Digital Age".

It sound dry as dust, but it is indeed interesting stuff (and well written).

He has a link to the original web publication which is entitled:
"A bizarre Jurassic maniraptoran from China with elongate ribbon-like feathers".

The Abstract concludes: "This finding shows that a member of the avialan lineage experimented with integumentary ornamentation as early as the Middle-Late Jurassic, and provides further evidence relating to this important aspect of the transition from non-avian theropods to birds."
I translate that to mean, that there is yet another link in the chain between "dinosaurs" (not a precise usage of the term, but I'm sure you get my meaning) and birds.

Cheers

Denis
www.peonyden.blogspot.com