canberrabirds

Mungo NP and bird ID

Subject: Mungo NP and bird ID
From: Carsten Kulheim <>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:55:14 +1000
Hi all,

I have just returned from a week-long trip to Mungo NP, which offered fantastic birdwatching with 70 species observed, 20 of which were new marks for me.While staying at the remote Belah camp we offered some water to our feathered friends and within 2 hours 12 species found and used the source of water: Willie Wagtail, Aus. Raven, Mulga and Mallee-Ringneck parots, Striated Pardalote, Red Wattlebird (Simpson and Day does not show this bird in that area), Spiny-cheeked HE, Striped HE, Yellow-throated Miner, Apostlebird, plus two, which I haven't been able to identify either there or from picture. I was hoping that someone might be able to help with the identification of these two birds?

Some of the Yellow-throated Miners had very little yellow on them and the black patch behind the ear was a bit larger... is there any way to confirm that this could have been a Black-eared Miner? I have some pretty good pictures of them if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Carsten