canberrabirds

Nests Galore

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Nests Galore
From: Susanne Gardiner <>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 06:17:54 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all

the Magpies are in the full swing of nesting. I just discovered a 6th nest, 4
of which are within 500m of our house.

What amazes me are the different venues and styles. 3 Nests are fairly well
hidden in clumps of foliage, 3 are in naked trees, one of them massive - the
base of sticks looks about 50cm deep, possibly to fill out the fork of
branches. This is near the gate house at Fairbairn.

Some birds seem to like some variety of vistas during the day with one nest at
a roundabout (Officer Cresc/Hawdon St) and two on North Ainslie Primary School,
one about 1m away from a classroom window. (See photo. single egg, which was
turned over while I was watching.)

Haven't been swooped yet, but saw a magpie chasing an Ibis above Dickson the
other day. The Ibis sounded rather distressed.

At the roundabout of Officer Crescent/Hawdon Street is also a Crested Pidgeon
sitting on a nest (in front of no 24) and in a gum tree in Ebden Street
(outside 33) I found a Peewee nest, though I haven't seen a bird on it, yet.

There are usually Friar birds nesting near this roundabout of Officer Crescent,
but from memory, that's later in the year.

Cheers, Susanne

      Make the switch to the world&#39;s best email. Get Yahoo!7 Mail!
http://au.yahoo.com/y7mail