canberrabirds

Protection of Kellys Swamp

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Protection of Kellys Swamp
From: Susanne Gardiner <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:36:06 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all

Last Tuesday I found a proper arrow (a la Bow and Arrow) which I took with me
as I thought a weapon like this (the tip is indeed very sharp) should not be
lying around where children roam. It was were a lot of the bunny holes are near
the Bittern hide and only an armlength off the path.

I made me wonder, who is shooting arrows and if that person was hunting rabbits
and/or birds?

I've been to several excursions to Birrigai/Jerrabombera with my children.
They usually eat at the log circle near the buildings.

Birrigai take them down to the grassy area in front of "Bittern" to play a game
about what Birds eat what and to have a better view of the habitat.

So maybe this is a point to take up with Birrigai, not the Teachers, who are
only followers in this exercise, but do keep children from straying from the
path, picking or breaking plants, keeping quiet as to not scare the birds etc.
The Game's materials and learning stations along the path are taken there by
truck driven along the walking path.

The Groups often do a water skimming exercise, getting invertebrae out of a
small section of water behind the buildings, across the paddocks. Some of the
invertebrae are taken up to the lab for examination under microscopes before
being returned to the waterway.

It may be debatable as to the impact on the whole wetlands. But I also feel,
that this is an important hands on learning exercise for the kids as a lot of
them walk away from there a lot more impressed and caring for the environment
they have just experienced.

Whether I missed the blackwing stilts due to the Preschoolers who passed
"Cygnus" half an hour before I got there.... who knows?

Cheers, Susanne

      Make the switch to the world&#39;s best email. Get Yahoo!7 Mail!
http://au.yahoo.com/y7mail