canberrabirds

Riverina obs

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Riverina obs
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:55:43 +1000
Hello all and happy spring; I'm just back from a month's work trip to WA so am out of touch here. WA's a bit out of our bailiwick, but just a couple of obs for those who share my view that the Riverina (a favourite part of my world) is part of our extended back yard.

En route (16 August), 3 Magpie Geese landed on an irrigation channel east of Narrandera. This morning, east of Deniliquin, the squilteenth Wedgie of the trip was feeding with corvids on a carcase - except that when it flew off it was an immature Sea Eagle. Maybe this is not very interesting - I've not had time to look at at HANZAB yet - but I've not seen it before.

(And of probably even less interest on this line, a dead Red Kangaroo this morning between Urana and Wagga Wagga. Assuming it was a wild animal, it was by far the furthest east I've seen this species.)

cheers

Ian

(Apologies if this appears twice; I think I sent it the first time before I was properly back on the list.)

--

Ian Fraser,
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Wordsmithing