canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: "'COG'" <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:51:21 +1000

Our fourth annual bird blitz is on again, on the weekend of 25-26 October, when we aim to record all birds present in the ACT over that weekend, and any indications of breeding. We will again attempt to conduct surveys in as many as possible of the 165 COG grid cells across the ACT. And we’d like as many of you as possible to participate. Our webmaster has created a special “blitz” icon on COG’s homepage, where you will shortly find instructions, an Excel spreadsheet of the grid cells and description of the locations therein and who has been allocated to survey there, and a map showing the grid cells that have been allocated. A few prime sites are still up for grabs, including Woodstock NR, Uriarra Crossing, Shepherds Lookout, in fact the whole of the Murrumbidgee River Corridor, Nursery Swamp, Yerrabi Track, Yankee Hat, Oakey Hill, Tuggeranong Hill, Bullen Bullen Range, Mt Rob Roy, Coppins Crossing, all of the grassland nature reserves and much of the Brindabellas. So how about it, listers? Think about choosing a favourite site – or one new to you - and see what you can find there. Your minimum commitment is a 20-minute 2-hectare survey per grid cell. Even if you can’t request to adopt a site, think about contributing even by doing a 20-min 2-ha survey in your local park or even backyard and environs. For more information or to adopt a site or grid cell, please contact me directly. Do join us to make this annual event a success. Barbara Allan