canberrabirds

Jerra Creek & wetlands; Coast

To: "Rod's Gardening" <>, <>
Subject: Jerra Creek & wetlands; Coast
From: "David Rosalky" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:19:51 +1000
A couple of days at Broulee to check the place out and do the requisite maintenance.
I managed two bird walks along my usual haunts.  Lots of activity and good viewings.

But the undoubted highlight was a flock of 80 or more Swift Parrots feeding in two Bangalay gums near the entrance to Broulee Fire Depot on Broulee Road.  They fed on lerp (I presume, because they seemed to be feeding off the leaves) for 20 minutes or  more before moving along Broulee Road to the west.  They came from the direction of the beach.  A few minutes later I saw a flock of about 15 birds high and not calling heading south along the beach hinterland.  I am not sure whether these were swifties as I could not make out colour high against a bright sky.

The occurrence was at 7:10am on 15 September.

Following Rod's observations: a pair of Pied Oystercatchers on Broulee Beach but no obvious breeding activity.

David Rosalky