canberrabirds

Point Hut Pond

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Point Hut Pond
From: "Esme Barker and Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:10:13 +1000
I did another of my reasonably regular surveys of Point Hut Pond this morning. Interesting observations were:

The pair of Black Swans that were sitting (on) when I did my survey last month now have 3 cygnets in tow. The dy are still quite small - my guess is that they hatched 1-2 weeks ago.

An apparent influx of Dusky Moorhens, swelling their numbers to 18 from the more usual 11-13. This species possibly bred at the Pond last summer but there are no recognisably juvenile/immature birds present today. A territorial incursion/defence was in progress on the water near the southern end of the Pond - the pursuit and retreat displays illustrated in Taylor's (1998) "Rails" were both being enthusiastically exhibited by the protagonists.

The influx of some migrants/partial migrants isn't really in full swing so far in this area - no Reed-Warblers yet (usually 3 or 4 pair during summer) and only 4 Welcome Swallows (none at all present in my July and August surveys).

The most abundant species today (as they usually are) were Purple Swamphen and Eurasian Coot. One thing I have noticed about these is that as the numbers of one species increase, the numbers of the other species decrease - the equilibrium point seems to be around 40 of each. As I've only been doing these surveys every 2-3 months (until recently when I've been trying to go monthly) for a bit less than 2 years, I obviously don't have enough data to discern whether this is a real trend or just an accident - but I'll keep an eye on how things pan out as I get more counts done.

Bruce