canberrabirds

Molonglo Gorge, Newline [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Molonglo Gorge, Newline [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:15:02 +1000
Molonglo Gorge: Field Nats had a walk at Molonglo Gorge today. Saw >4 yellow robins, common bronzewing, lots of white-eared honeyeaters. After the walk had finished at 3pm I decided to hang around. Not much was happening until a light shower occurred and in one of those moments that make birding worthwhile birds started appearing from everywhere, with 5 yellow-tufted honeyeaters in view at once, a pair of white-throated treecreepers that came within 1m of me, scrubwrens, fairy wrens, & yellow robins all around. The spot was ~80m from the car park where a fence comes close to the trail.  During the walk we saw plenty of yellow-faced honeyeaters. Small flocks (usually 2-5) of white-napes were moving through. Some double bars and redbrows, brown thornbills, kookaburras and ravens were all seen during the walk. Strange, but I didnt see 1 red wattlebird.

Newline woodland: I was very surprised by previous reports of so many fuscous honeyeaters at Newline recently, the most I've seen has been 25 at once. So I decided to drop in on the way home. I wasn't disappointed! In one flowering tree I counted 70 fuscous, 3 white-napes and 2 yellow-faced. And there were more than 6 trees in flower. Other birds included a brown treecreeper, probably 2.   16 choughs, yellow-faced and white-napes, peaceful doves and a brown goshawk. 10 straw-necked ibis flew over. Other usuals, although I didnt see crested shrike tits or jacky winters. I definitely want to go back when it is warmer and sunnier to count those fuscous.

Benj

------
IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain sensitive and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------