canberrabirds

ANBG

To: <>
Subject: ANBG
From: "Anthony Overs" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:37:44 +1000

Hi all

I spent 90 minutes at the bot gardens yesterday afternoon. I started with about half an hour sitting on Tom Green’s seat, watching the bathing birds; these included Red Wattlebird, New Holland Honeyeater, Eastern Spinebill, Eastern Rosella, and a single female Crescent Honeyeater. The Crescent came down the slope from the grevilleas, had a quick bath and preen and headed back up the slope. One of the bathing New Hollands was a juvenile, with brown in the back and a dark eye. Tom’s seat is on the path in the paperbarks and tea trees section, between beds 9 and 10, and is a great spot to watch birds closely.

I observed a Brown Thornbill carrying nesting material into some shrubs next to the toilet block on the eucalypt lawn, although I could not find the nest. There were also plenty of bowerbirds calling in quite a few sections of the gardens.

No sign of Little Wattlebird, Bassian Thrush or Rose Robin.

Cheers

Anthony