canberrabirds

Some observations at Mundoonen and Gunning

To: COG list <>
Subject: Some observations at Mundoonen and Gunning
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:57:50 +1000
Hi
Birded at Mundoonen today, looking especially for Brown Treecreeper, Hooded Robin, Speckled Warbler and Spotted Quail-thrush. I walked for 9km (out and back along same sections of trail) along the Swamp Gully Trail and Old Gap Road without recording them. Best for the day was a small flock of 4 Yellow Thornbills. These were in some bipinnate-type wattle regrowth which is quite common in some parts of the reserve - I suspect (a) because stock have been excluded from formerly cleared parts of the reserve, (b) there was a fire which triggered a lot of regeneration and (c) the power authorities keep it nicely trimmed under the power lines. None of the summer migrants were about and, in terms of breeding activity, by far the majority of birds were still moving about in MFF. Of the species that might hang about in winter but mostly move away, there were only a couple of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. I assume that the Eastern Spinebills that were about were interested in the flowering heath - not that I saw any spinebills actually in the heath. For those of you who may be interested, Gunning has a small sewage farm which today had Hardhead, Grey Teal, Wood Duck, Masked Lapwing, Australasian Grebe, a White Ibis, and many Dusky Moorhen attending. Most interesting sighting at Gunning was a flock of Varied Sittellas feeding amongst the leafless branches of a stand of very large deciduous trees.
Lowlight was two Common Mynas at Gunning.
Con