canberrabirds

Winter observations

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Winter observations
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:53:46 +1000

Over recent weeks we had several reports of early nesting activity, perhaps a reflection of a relatively mild winter. However, my impression is, we get similar observations every winter, the main candidates being thornbills, ravens and magpies. If members would add all those observations to the database, we should be able in due course to separate ?impressions? from ?facts?, and we may well see possible shifts (for example, earlier start in the timing of breeding).

As far as early observations of migrants are concerned, I agree with Philip?s comments: they could be from displaced birds from further South or West (eg. with changes in weather or exhaustions of their local food supply, forcing them to move onwards to appear in our area). Very limited calling/singing may also be an indication that they are not really early spring arrivals.

However, for me the 2008 winter is notably different to that of  2007 with regard to two common species. In 2007 we saw a great exodus of Red Wattlebirds (RW) from our area, in all likelihood joining the mass migration along the coast heading North; and that movement lasted for weeks ( I still remember those fascinating reports on the chat line). At the same time we had a good influx of Weebills into suburbia - and they were not there for just short periods but stayed for weeks. Both events were most likely linked to the extreme drought conditions.

In this winter RWs are every where in town and the surrounding country, and in good numbers, but so far I have not seen any weebills at the various suburban sites

they frequented last year. In fact, one of the key sites for weebills I found in 2007 was Haig Park in Braddon (utilizing the many Argyle Apples along Henty Street). At the time there were almost no RWs present which would, no doubt, have made life for the Weebils difficult and prevented a build-up in Weebill numbers.

This year, Henty Street is home to many RWs (30 to 80 max.), but not to any Weebills.

These observations are just a glimpse into very different ecological circumstances for our birds in both winters. In 2007 the drought meant there was only limited food for the larger honeyeaters and they moved out of town, while in 2008 there is plenty of food for them (mainly lerps at the moment), hence many birds can stay. For the Weebill, in 2007 the woodlands no longer provided enough food, and some found reprieve in suburbia, but in 2008, it seems, they have no need to leave the woodlands. No doubt, many factors are involved, and the situation is different for every species, but very exciting, indeed.

By the way, the group of Noisy Friarbirds in the Ainslie/Braddon area along Limestone Ave. is still around. They are remarkably quiet, and often rather hidden deep in the foliage: perhaps a strategy to limit the attention RWs may otherwise pay to them and to reduce the number of incidences of being chased by them.

Michael Lenz