canberrabirds

white-backed magpies hybridisation [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: white-backed magpies hybridisation [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:41:52 +1000

If you are interested in this issue, Belinda Mitterdorfer studied the magpie hybrid zone and the genetics of it, in about 1997. I am not sure if she published her results. You could read her honours thesus at BOZO/ANU. At the Pinnacle each autumn/winter we get white-backed magpies coming in, presumably dispersing in from further south, but for much of the year there are mainly black backs.

B. Mitterdorfer "Microsatellite variation across a hybrid zone in the Australian magpie Gymnorhina tibicen." Hons.