canberrabirds

Re: seasonal Honeyeater frolics, and other bird notes

To: <>
Subject: Re: seasonal Honeyeater frolics, and other bird notes
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:03:12 +1000
Canberra Ornithologists Group forum members.

Most of this report is a bit "out of area", but I hope you find it of interest. There is a comment on expansion of Peaceful Dove populations into Canberra which is strictly topical.

I went to Appin, yesterday, on the edge of the Sydney Sandstone region (only about 20 Km south of Campbelltown, but in Sydney sandstone Banksia country, not the boring habitat of the Cumberland Plains).

There were large numbers of Honeyeaters present. Yellow-faced seen initially, along the edge of the Cataract River gorge, (technically Douglas Park), plus Spinebills, and Little Wattlebirds. The YFHEs were very vocal, doing their full (multi-note descending "chip, chip, chip" calls), as well as their "feeding" harsh single note calls.

Then we went 10 Km to Appin (Georges River). Many Banksias (spinulosa type and also B. serrata), plus Grevilleas arenaria and another red-flowered Toothbrush type. All these were in flower, plus some Eucalypts. Lots of nectar available is the point. Yellow-faced, Yellow-tufted, New Holland Honeyeaters all present, plus Little Wattlebirds, Spinebills and on the ridges, Noisy Miners. Interestingly, given the numbers of YF, no White-naped HE were seen or heard.

Much to my excitement, I saw a pair of Peaceful Doves in dense shrubbery close to the River (across the river from me, so the photo is recognisable, not great quality). I have not seen these birds in 20 years or more. I have noted that they have been reported frequently on the COG forum, of late. Another sign of global warming, perhaps? When I was growing up in Canberra, I never saw Peaceful Doves any closer to Canberra than Forbes. I wonder if they are they following the same pattern of population expansion as the Crested Pigeons?

Back to the house on the ridge at Douglas Park, the Noisy Miners had moved in, but a pair of King Parrots were happily munching on the berries of the Wild Tobacco (Solanum mauritanicum?), and a beautifully plumaged male Pied Butcherbird came into the trees, and when offered some scraps of bread, dived down to the railing of the deck to consume that. Not a very fussy bird, I thought. I know they love cheese, but was surprised that it took dry bread. Impact of the vegetarian householder's restricted diet?

Final note was that 8 YT Black Cockies flew out of the Cataract River Gorge to land in a pine tree behind the house, for a late afternoon feed, and in the case of the juveniles, to happily sing their sad, miserable, persistent groaning noises.

Denis Wilson