canberrabirds

Wednesday walk to ABG

To: "COG Chatline" <>
Subject: Wednesday walk to ABG
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:13:16 +1000
7 walkers participated in a coolish walk through and aroud the Gardens this morning.  We achieved 27 species including 6 parrots/cockatoos and 6 Honeyeaters.  The least usual bird was Crescent Honeyeater of which we had good views near the Sydney Gully.  We didn't record White-plumed, White-eared or Brown-headed Honeyeaters (all of which we had expected) nor Yellow-tufted Hoeyeater or Little Wattlebird (which we had hoped for).  Many White-naped, all closely inspected for the purity of their white throats and unfortunately they all passed the ts..

Potential nesting activity was shown by Galahs excavating a hollow and Spotted Pardalotes ispecting an existing hollow.

The upper part of the garden was enhanced by workers using an industrial strenth chipper which may have explained the dearth of birds in that area.

Next month's walk will be at Newline meeting at 9:15 to allow the chaos of the airport traffic "system" to have abated.

Martin