canberrabirds

A birding blitz in a Blitz

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: A birding blitz in a Blitz
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:22:48 +1000
Spent last weekend caretaking a Wagga property while the owners took a break. Had to patrol the property twice daily looking for trespassers which are a darned nuisance during weekends. Also had to feed a few cattle, so loaded hay bales on back of a ex-army 1942 Ford Blitz truck which was an immediate source of fascination.

Fed the beeves and mounted our patrol as the Bratz took turns at standing on the passenger's seat and poking their heads out the observation hatch in the turret searching for interlopers and enemy aircraft. Disappointingly, we encountered neither. Suddenly, Linda-in-the-turret startled me, "Aquila the Hun at twelve o'clock! Rat-a-tat-tat!! she shrieked.

"Stop acting the fool up there or get down," I growled. Then, "Oh, well done, Linda!"

A Wedge-tailed Eagle was perched on the dead crown of a big Yellow Box tree 100 metres away. As we sneaked uphill towards it, using the truck as a hide, I stalled, hit the starters and the old Blitz roared back to life with a resounding backfire. Aquila the Hun took off into the sun and soared. A few moments later it was joined by its mate and we glassed them for five minutes until they descended behind a distant hill.

In a stretch of Cypress Pine country we saw 10 White-winged Choughs, 12 Grey-crowned Babblers, pair of Red-capped Robins, ~ 50 Crested Pigeons and seven Apostle Birds. In eucalpt scrub we saw ~ eight Spotted Pardalotes, a Grey Butcher Bird, an early-bird Willie Wagtail building a nest and scored a Male Hooded Robin which the Bratz said looked like an executioner with his black cape. Quite so, m'dears. At various points we saw six male Flame Robins perched on fences.

Stopped outside a derelict cottage and flushed two owls (Southern Boobooks we thought) from Pepper Trees. Entered the cottage looking for trashpackers and saw a cast iron stove with the oven door ajar. Samantha yanked it open and everyone sprang aside as a Brush Tail Possum leapt out and fled across the paddock. "No roast possum tonight, girls," I said.

A cluster of winter-bare willows by the river contained five Cattle Egrets, three Pied Cormorants, seven Little Black and fifteen Little Pied Cormorants, five Darters and a White-faced Heron. We binoed a fox beneath the trees for a few minutes and it seemed to be chewing at the guano encrusted leaf litter. Withdrew leaving Reynard to his novel repast and had our picnic lunch.

We saw three Whistling Kites soaring and heard them whistling as we watched ten Peaceful Doves lined up on a dead branch. Other riparian highlights: Golden-headed Cisticolas, Brown Quail, Red-kneed and Black-fronted Dotterels, a male Musk Duck, ~ 30 Grey Teal some of which perched on fence posts. Grew tired of counting Pacific Black Ducks, Australian Wood Ducks and Masked Lapwings. Saw White-faced and White-necked Herons, two Royal Spoonbills and two Great Egrets. Acting upon reliable information, we parked the Blitz on a rise overlooking the lagoon, stood on the turret so we looked down into reeds and spotted a Black Swan on its nest. Clearly heard Little Grassbirds but couldn't spot them. On the flats, in a couple of acres of dead River Red Gums ring-barked back in the 1940s but still standing, we saw 23 Australian Pelicans, a lone Australian Hobby and, completely blasé to the little raptor's presence, about 200 Common Starlings. Also in the precincts 35 feeding Straw-necked Ibis took no notice as we rumbled slowly by ~ 25m from them. At least 20 Welcome Swallows flittered above the lucern paddock probably pursuing myriads of midge-like insects swirling in the winter sunshine.

In the homestead orchard Yellow Rosellas ( yes, yes, Christidis & Boles puts them as Crimson Rosellas but I don't) far outnumbered Eastern Rosellas while Red-rumped Parrots were thick on the ground. One time we counted a flock 43 ground-feeding Red-rumps. Another time, a huge flotilla of Magpie-larks drifted overhead, a quick but conservative count indicated at least 55. A big English Walnut tree and surrounding ground held a rich feeding flock: Yellow-rumped and Brown Thornbills, Grey Fantails, Willie Wagtails, Magpie-larks, Red-rumps, a male Flame Robin and a Grey Shrike Thrush. An Eastern Yellow Robin clung sideways on the walnut's trunk and pounced intermittently as Yellow Rosellas chewed at walnut husks. Then a platoon of free-range turkeys arrived and commandeered the ground litter causing the fowls of the air to flee.

We noticed five Red Wattlebirds fussing, flapping and squawking as they feasted on fallen, rotting quinces. Now and then, one fluttered up into the tree, landed on a branch, perched unsteadily, descended to an ungainly landing and sat back on its tail for a second looking a tad disoriented. We concluded they were inebriated. A condition brought on, we thought, by imbibing the fermenting fruit.

I was woken early Sunday by heavy things landing on the roof followed by an eerie sound as if veloraptors were sliding down the corrugated iron using their talons as brakes, then muffled thumps as whatever they were landed on the ground. Chose to remained beneath the doona and heard the Bratz haring down the hall and out the door. They returned intact and reported the turkeys had camped in a big tree next to the house and were jumping onto the roof, "skiing" down the slope and launching back to Terra Firma. During breakfasts, a Grey Shrike-thrush landed on the verandah railing and called until it received its customary spoonful of crushed cornflakes. Then a sparrow landed and cleaned up the crumbs. Surprising, because I spent much of my younger years there and never saw a sparrow on the place. But, this particular sparrow had another surprise under its wing, we positively identified it as a Eurarasian Tree Sparrow. The species is patchy/unusual in Wagga, but here's this one little dodger a good 24km from of town. Hope it has a mate and propagates. We just like 'em.

Quickly now, Sunday's highlights: Aquila the Hun back in his Box seat but we didn't disturb him this time. Five Black-shouldered Kites perched in trees all within the one fifty acre paddock. A Pied Butcher Bird hopping about on deadfall while two Grey Currawongs tore at the bark. Checked the Pepper Trees but no owls. However, sent a rather belligerent trashpacker packing out of the cottage and over the boundary gate with the welcome backup of our good friends, Paddy and Trumby, the blue cattle dogs. Much merry schadenfreude ensued. No doubt the Bratz had much to tell when they returned to Canberra.

John Layton