canberrabirds

Googong Foreshores - Queanbeyan River Walk [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: COG list <>
Subject: Googong Foreshores - Queanbeyan River Walk [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:36:48 +1000
After Con & Julian's reports from Googong last week I headed out on
Saturday afternoon.
I arrived at the London Bridge car park at around 2.30pm. That only gave me
2 and a half hours before the gates closed.

I made it as far as Gelignite Crossing (~4km), which is a beautiful steep
gorge which the river runs through. A great spot in the late afternoon
sunshine. I stopped at every gully on the way listening for heathwrens. At
the spot where Julian had possibly heard heathwrens it was deadly quiet.
Even at Gelignite Crossing there was hardly a bird to be heard. I did,
however, find the Brown Treecreepers reported in the same location along
the track.

But the best spot was a gully closest to Drawdown Crossing along the track.
Here in a large area of forest with tea-tree understorey I found Eastern
Yellow Robins, an Echidna and various other birds. I also heard an unusual
and unfamiliar call being made by 2 separate birds hidden in the scrub.
The calls were I believe the same that Julian had heard in a gully some 0.5
kms further along the track - with an insect-like quality. A repeated
'tzit-id' (x6-12) which was sometimes answered by another bird. At no time
could I squeak them into view. A pair of scrubwrens were also very active
here but were not in the area where the calls were coming from. I am pretty
familiar with most of the Scrubwren and Brown Thornbill calls but hadn't
heard this call before. It is possible that they were heathwrens but I
couldn't say for sure. It wasn't a heathwren call that I had heard before
and I could find no mention of it in any of my guides.

This gully which empties out on to Burra Creek is only some ~500 m from the
London Bridge arch itself walking along the track. On the walk back a prime
example of a wombat graced me with his presence at Drawdown Crossing.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst | Programmer
Java Enterprise Technology | IT Branch
Australian Electoral Commission

Phone: (02) 6271 4465 | Fax: (02) 6271 4644

DISCLAIMER:
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately on
(02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies.  If this email or any
attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute
waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information
in the email or attachments.