canberrabirds

Where the Shoalhaven crosses the Kings Highway - Grid Z15 - Azure Kingfi

To: COG list <>
Subject: Where the Shoalhaven crosses the Kings Highway - Grid Z15 - Azure Kingfisher
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:16:19 +1000
Spent a happy morning at GrZ15 this morning, although a little brisk at the beginning. In the vicinity of the river crossing, GrZ15 has cleared areas, areas of regrowth, some areas of flats and rocky hills. There are areas of dense, heathy vegetation. On the southern side of the bridge, on the upstream side, there is recreation area which has good mature trees but the ground layer consists mainly of innumerable tracks with little undergrowth surviving. Noisy Miners dominate. On the northern side of the river and upstream from the bridge, the riverbank is completely dominated by blackberries and wattles. A large flat sand bank on the upstream side seems to be being used as an off-road race course with some consequent damage to riparian veg. A weedy broom is advancing its area of occupation along the river and appears to be able to exclude all native vegetation in some places. No trees appeared to be flowering. Downstream of the bridge, on both banks, the going is often challenging - rocky, steep in parts, and often with a dense shrub layer. There were many large carp and some mosquito fish to be seen in the water. Avian highlights were an Azure Kingfisher and a pair of Eastern Whipbirds. It has been many years since I have seen an Azure Kingfisher and this one reminded me what brilliant little beauties they are. I suppose the riparian veg of the Shoalhaven might be an ecological connector between the lower altitude, (more sedentary?) coastal birds and the COG AO1. The country downstream of the bridge looked right for Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens. I did not record any but have a bit less than a fifty per centish notion that I may have heard an individual - definitely worth another go. The monotremic highlight was a platypus. For those who have an interest in the lowest elevation in the COG AO1, my GPS gave a reading of 595m in the recreation area.
Con