canberrabirds

Egret problem

To: <>
Subject: Egret problem
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:51:34 +1000

Roger was good enough to send more pics, A-E below, D-E being later birds.  I’d put aside for present purposes the possibility of  a Cattle Egret (small, body about magpie size, different head-bill, very compact etc.)  The problem here is to distinguish the Intermediate from the Great, especially non-breeding and young birds.   Both have blackish (at distance can be ‘black) legs.  The usual differentiator is a stocky versus lanky bird, former having a thick neck where it meets the shoulders, like the difference between a League player and an Aus Rules footballer.

Below pics show the problem with non-breeding/young birds, the extent of ‘gape’ being not all that much use in some situations.  My conclusions:  A-C are Int Egrets, D-E (Roger’s later birds) are Greats.  The similarity between D-E and A exemplifying the problem.  The roundish crown of the Int is some help.  With a photo it may be necessary to fall back on relative length of neck, as Marnix correctly points out.  Feel free to disagree if you wish.

egret problem.jpg