canberrabirds

Musk Duck ashore

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Musk Duck ashore
From: "Esme Barker and Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:00:42 +1000
Yesterday while I was watching Musk Ducks at Yerrabi Pond (there were 10 there, counting the 2 ducklings still dependent on their mother), a female swam to the shallows on the eastern side of the island that is crossed by a footbridge. There she stood and preened for quite some time, then walked out of the water and up a small sloping bank to a patch of grass, where she again stood and preened before settling down to roost.

I couldn't see if the patch of grass was, in fact, a nest but I don't think it was as it is very exposed and under no cover whatsoever. Have attached a photo of the duck leaving the water, in case not many members may have seen a Musk Duck on land. My references say that it is a "rare" event or that the birds are almost helpless on land. I wouldn't actually agree having seen this bird walk - it wasn't ever going to set any Olympic records but by the same token, it managed OK for the short number of steps needed to ascend a small slope and walk around a clump of grass to the shorter patch where it roosted. Its walking style reminded me of Indian Runner Ducks - it was upright but leaned forward slightly, not perfectly upright like a penguin.

Also notable at Yerrabi were 20+ Hardhead, many Australasian Grebes, several White-faced Herons including one still very much in juvenile plumage and a family of Black Swans (2 adults and 7 very small cygnets). I think these must have been the birds which were reported not long ago as having a nest right next to the footpath on the south-eastern side. Judging by the size of the cygnets I think they must have hatched only a few days ago. The Intermediate Egret which I saw at the Pond 2 weeks ago was not there this time and nor did I see the male Musk Duck with the large bill lobe and which is, I assume, the father of the 2 still-dy ducklings.

Bruce