canberrabirds

Kowen Forest (GrQ15) and Brooks Hill Remnant Vegetation Reserve (GrP14)

To: COG list <>
Subject: Kowen Forest (GrQ15) and Brooks Hill Remnant Vegetation Reserve (GrP14)
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 16:56:05 +1000
For those of you who may not have been there, GrQ15 is part of Canberra's eastern 'nose'. It is bisected by the Goulburn-Queanbeyan railway, which also forms the ACT/NSW boundary. The section between the railway and the Kings Highway is nearly all pine plantation (Kowen) but there is a buffer strip between the pines and the railway line. The conservation value of the buffer has been much reduced because it has mostly been previously cleared, it has an operations track through it and a firebreak has been bulldozed through it as well. It looks very messy even from space (Google). Within GrQ15, all parts of the southern side of the railway are abutted by what I assume to be private land. The country is undulating. Some of the pasture is well-managed and looks productive. Some has been almost entirely cleared with only scattered mature trees remaining. Some of the pasture is reverting back to bush. There is also a fairly dense stand of remnant vegetation. This ranges from the poor higher elevation areas with E. Rossi and lower areas/valleys which have Yellow Box and a mixture of other gums. I am not sure what happens with GrQ15 further south but believe that it has the Molongolo flowing through it. This morning I walked about 6km through Q15, birding as I went. I covered part of the pine plantation, a considerable length of the buffer strip and then walked along the railway adjacent to the private lands. The tally was 31 species. Notable for their absence were: Speckled Warbler, Brown Treecreeper, Hooded Robin and the raptors. Some of the country looked 'right' but perhaps there was not enough of the right habitat and perhaps the remnants are now too fragmented and small to sustain them. Maybe they were there and I missed them. One area in particular looked very much like the areas that support Hooded Robins in Mulligan's Flat. Highlights were: White-throated Treecreepers feeding in pines, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos ditto and Four Common Blackbirds feeding in a Hawthorn shrub. Two Common Bronzewings were flushed from under a Wild Cherry. There were White-eared, Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters as well as an Eastern Spinebill and several Red Wattlebirds. There were several Scarlet Robins and a single Flame Robin. One part of the track through the pine forest contained hundreds of flying lady beetles.

From there I moved to the tip of Canberra's nose, to Brooks Hill Reserve which occupies part of what I take to be the scarp formed along the Lake George Fault and is in GrP14. The Reserve is managed by a Trust. The western boundary of the reserve forms part of the ACT/NSW border. The Reserve fits between the Kings Highway and the railway. The western boundary is adjacent to private land, currently grazing sheep. The difference in vegetation between the grazed and non-grazed areas is stark. The Eastern boundary is adjacent to the Carlton Estate which is distinguised by streets named after AFL teams. Tastes differ, but the thought of living on Collingwood Street... Part of the reserve contains the old Bungendore Road and the trees from the old road reserve are fine specimens. Most of the rest of the reserve looks as if it was cleared, with many small re-growth trees. There are areas of heavy mistletoe growth. Parts of the reserve had much fallen timber. Again no Brown Treecreeper, Speckled Warbler or Hooded Robin or a single raptor, noting that it was in the heat of the afternoon and they might have been lying doggo or playing possum. Apart from that, the bird list is as expected. Highlights were five Varied Sittellas preening and a Brown Thornbill which, with good mimicry, had me looking for a Grey Fantail. White-eared, Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters were about. There were two Grey Butcherbirds and four Laughing Kookaburras. The tally was 23 species.
Con