canberrabirds

THREE ! OSRREYS

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: THREE ! OSRREYS
From: "Sharon Rusk" <>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 23:32:33 +1000
Hi!
Yes, thats right, it's not a typographical error ( well maybe the last word is). There were 3 osprey sailing back and forward along the escarpment at Warden Head at 9-30 am this morning. When we first seen them I thought they were the 3 WB seaeagles that we spotted last week, but I.D. them as they came closer. We watched them dumbfounded for 10 mins before rushing off to alert others in the area. Having done a few phone calls we rushed back again to continue observing them. As we were racing back down the road to the heads, one of those piddly little gyro-copters decided on a joy-ride for a quick buzz along the coast. I couldn't believe it, they've had all last week and  next week and even Sunday avro to buzz off somewherea. Ah well ! being Sunday it could be a case of the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
It seems like an after thought now but yesterday 40+ Swift Parrots were feeding at Kingspoint with 3 spotted the day before.
 I was wondering if these Ospreys were maybe taking advatage of any dead or injured fish from the good number of fishermen casting all along the shore from the rocks and beaches as I did see one stooping down, talons open. at 45 degrees before disappearing behind escarpment.

Cheers
Bob Rusk
Ps.    I feel that I've been dudded out of  5 mins of my 15 mins of fame