canberrabirds

interesting sighting, not a bird

To: "Elizabeth Compston" <>, "birds birds" <>
Subject: interesting sighting, not a bird
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:06:31 +1000
I've seen spider-hunting wasps in my Macquarie backyard on at least a couple of
occasions in the past.  Very impressive little animals they are too!  Not only
colourful but possessing remarkable strength for their size.  I once watched
one carrying a large huntsman, 2-3 times its size, up my driveway, up a low
retaining wall, across the lawn, and up and over the back fence into the
neighbour's yard.  It did this at a remarkable pace, and simply went in a
straight line, over any obstacle, and straight up the wall and fence vertically
without any hesitation!  I'd like to see one catch a huntsman and paralyse it -
that must be quite a spectacle.

Regards
Frank Antram