canberrabirds

Spotted Harrier still at Jerra wetlands

To: "Canberrabirds List" <>
Subject: Spotted Harrier still at Jerra wetlands
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:51:59 +1100
After numerous visits to the wetlands over the last six weeks or so, in the
hope of seeing the Spotted Harrier, I had thought the bird must have moved on
or died?..so I was delighted to spot the bird yesterday evening, still trailing
its broken leg, hunting over the Kingston side of the Silt Trap with a Little
Eagle.  Later, the harrier flew close past me at the sewage ponds, giving me a
splendid view of it.  Clearly it must be getting enough to eat despite its
handicap which includes a couple of broken or bent tips to the primaries of the
right wing.

17 Yellow-tailed Blacks were the other highlight of Saturday?s visit.

This morning, I visited the wetlands again, with Alastair Smith, and the
highlights were a young Peregrine, 2 Little Eagles, 1-2 Whistling Kites, 1 Grey
Butcherbird, 1 Cattle Egret, 1 Sacred Kingfisher, a flock of 12 Noisy
Friarbirds, 1 Brown Quail and 1 Shelduck.

Regards
Frank Antram