canberrabirds

White-fronted Chats at Stromlo Forest Pk [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: White-fronted Chats at Stromlo Forest Pk [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:35:35 +1100
After an attempted breeding by a pair of chats in 2006 and a probable
successful breeding in 2007 this species love of this area continues with
no less than a loose flock of 24 White-fronted Chats present today at 2pm.

After initially noticing several small pied & grey birds alighting near the
grassed running track I walked down to take a closer look. When some 20
metres away a looked up alerted by chat calls. A large flock of 20 chats
flapped over from a nearby hillside southeast of the main car park and
heading over the running track towards the large dam in the northeast. I
walked down to the dam but couldn't find them again. While walking back to
my car I passed the spot where I had initially seen some chats and this
time I flushed another 4 birds, which also flew in the direction of the
dam. All up 24 Chats!

The whole course looks like suitable habitat and reminds me a bit of the
Lake Bathurst area. I wonder whether this bodes well for multiple breeding
events this winter at this site?

I will be submitting a record sheet in due course.

Also present a pair of Brown Falcons - one each of dark and light phases.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Java Enterprise Technology
IT Branch
Australian Electoral Commission

Ph:   02 6271 4465
Fax: 02 6271 4644
Email:

DISCLAIMER:
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately on
(02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies.  If this email or any
attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute
waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information
in the email or attachments.