canberrabirds

Migrating Honeyeaters

To: "'birds birds'" <>
Subject: Migrating Honeyeaters
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:44:11 +1100

My map only related to an issue raised about the direction of the 'main' migration.  The BA atlas only gives presence information, expressed in relative frequency of observations.  I began by making the winter and summer maps semi-transparent and superimposing them, thus comparing relative 'presence' observations.  The result was interesting, but rather complicated so I showed the essence of it in that different form.  One point that emerges is that the winter and summer distributional maps, having regard only to crude presence, are not all that different except around the margins.

Clearly birds leave some areas and birds concentrate in others, but it would be a rash assumption that the 'leaving' birds make up the 'arriving' ones, geographically speaking.

Micro-surveys, like the one in CBN 12:4 (1987), are useful for local purposes but are of little - let’s be frank, no - use in understanding the overall flow.

honeyeaters.JPG

I suspect that the constant emphasis on temperature is misplaced, as if the birds were sun-mad Victorians making for the beaches of Noosa, and that the migration is food (ie vegetation cycle) driven, and that accounts for the differences noticed each year.  Transient parties will linger or concentrate around the ACT if there is food, but not otherwise.