canberrabirds

Uriarra Crossing

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Uriarra Crossing
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:50:02 +1100
Stopped by at Uriarra Crossing early yesterday before the Sunday morning suburban idiostocracy descended and recorded 23 species over 70 minutes. Highlights: Two immature/female Mistletoe Birds, about 15 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters working east through riverbank trees. Two groups totaling about 20 (conservative estimate) Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes flying downstream, two Whistling Kites soaring, two European Greenfinches and three Black-fronted Dotterels. A lone Trundle Bear – our vernacular for Common Wombat. Mixed feeding flock in trees comprising Grey Fantails, Striated Pardalotes, Brown Thornbills, Willie Wagtail, White-throated Gerygone and three White-eared Honeyeaters bringing up the drag.

Suddenly, the Tinkerbells chimed, "Weebills!" They've never positively identified the species and are apt to call Weebill at any unidentified little brown bird in the hope they'll be able to pencil a check mark against the entry in their field guides. I followed their pointing paws and saw two little birds preening on a twiggy branch 7m overhead. After 10 seconds they sat still for a moment and we could easily tell they were Weebills. They began hovering about the foliage and then, when we viewed them sans binos, they looked like wannabe bumblebees.

John Layton