canberrabirds

Harrier

To: <>
Subject: Harrier
From: Stuart Harris <>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:19:33 +1100
Saw both Spotted and Swamp Harrier at the FSW yesterday evening between 630-7pm.
Little Eagle was feeding on rabbit on post beside the logbook gate.  At least a dozen Blue-billed Ducks on the FSW.

Regards
Stuart Harris

PS Male Bittern also seen flying above reeds on SW side around 530pm.....

"Everything is relative, everything is valid!"

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:42:26 +0000
Subject: [canberrabirds] Harrier

Hi,

I had a great morning with two lifers.  Firstly, after an hour of patient waiting, I finally saw the little bittern at Acacia Inlet at my fourth attempt.  Despite being a bit unsure about exhibiting such patience twice in one morning, I ventured to the Fyshwick Sewage Ponds to see a spotted harrier.  Fortunately my luck held - I think.

I had amazing views of a harrier but it didn't completely add up to the description and illustrations in my Pizzey/Knight field guide, either for an adult, sub-adult or juvenile.  It was eating a bird, possibly a coot, and, when disturbed, it flew small tight circles around my head and later perched for some time nearby.  I also saw it earlier flying low over the overgrown area between ponds 3 and 4.  It had all the hallmarks of a spotted harrier but it had no facial disc, its face had large light patches but it did have a grey lore.  Its back was dark, with brown streaks down its pale throat and belly.  It did have long yellow trailing legs, a long, barred tail and black "fingertips".  In short, the plumage was strange but everything else matched up with the description of a spotted harrier.  I hope someone can confirm that this is what it was.

Other obs were cisticolas and a whistling kite.  Also, please be warned that a very large huntsman has taken up residence inside the logbook at the gate to the ponds.  I tried to persuade it to resettle but without luck.

Maurits Zwankhuizen
Visit http://www.fco.gov.uk for British foreign policy news and travel advice; and http://www.i-uk.com - the essential guide to the UK.
We keep and use information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.  We may release this personal information to other UK government departments and public authorities.

Please note that all messages sent and received by members of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and its
missions overseas may be monitored centrally.  This is done to ensure the integrity of the system.

Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?