canberrabirds

Black-shouldered or Australian Kites? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Black-shouldered or Australian Kites? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:20:59 +0100
This comes from Roberts VII (2006) for Southern Africa and to the best
of my knowledge the latest common name usage in the region:

127     Black-shouldered Kite           Elanus caeruleus

from:  http://www.fitzpatrick.uct.ac.za/excel/roberts7.xls

Regards

David

Quoting martin butterfield <>:

Looking at my African guides, Zimmerman et al (Kenya and N Tanzania),
 Stevenson and Fanshawe (East Africa) and Newman (Southern Africa) all list
E caerulans as Black-shouldered Kite.  Demey and Borrow (Western Africa)
give Black-winged Kite as an alternate name, with Back-shouldered Kite as
the basic name.  I have enquired of a Tanzainan mate how they are currently
viewing this issue.

Martin

On Jan 30, 2008 6:04 PM, Oren, Yarden <>