canberrabirds

Little Bitterns again

To: "John Leonard" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Little Bitterns again
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:04:22 +1100
Roy Harvey and I paddled to Acacia Inlet and environs this afternoon and managed to find the Little Bitterns. Roy had a good view of the male bird in flight while I managed a very brief sighting just before the bird dropped down to cover. We decided to pursue our quarry on foot and after making landfall at a suitable location trudged thru the well trampled (by COG members obviously) long grass to the approximate location. The female flew up and landed in shrubbery about a metre above the water and I had an excellent view for about 30 seconds before it too disappeared. So, back to the kayaks for another waterborne assault. As I glided past the location where I had last seen the bird I was lucky enough to see the top of its neck, head, eye and beak, well camouflaged and absolutely motionless. I passed about two metres from it. In the 30 seconds or so that it took to attract Roy's attention and to turn the kayak around, it had disappeared again. So that was that.

Highlights in about 25 other sightings included Dusky Woodswallows on nest and also feeding dependent young, and Purple Swamphens mating.

Cheers

Rod