canberrabirds

Definition of DY in Aust Wood Ducks

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: Definition of DY in Aust Wood Ducks
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:32:33 +1100
But ... I do not recall having ever seen a duck feeding its young.

So how do we differentiate DY ducks from their next stage of development, when they are no longer DY so should not be reported as breeding records?

(signed) Puzzled of Wamboin

martin butterfield wrote:
David

My operational definition for any species would be being fed by parents (or carers in the case of cuckoos).

That being said I am wondering if there isn't a need for a further code IY,  for Indolent Young.  I have been developing this concept over the last few days watching some young Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Miners in our big Yellow Box.   They look to be full grown and quite capable of looking after themselves and can clearly fly well.  However it seems easirer for them to sit around and squawk all and the parents (or at least an adult member of the same species) periodically turns up and rams an ex-insect into their mouth.  I am counting these as DY for my GBS Chart since I believe there is a fair chance they have bred in the site ar at least close by (and it is my limited skill at nest-finding which has prevented a NE or NY code being earned.

Martin.