canberrabirds

South Coast Ulladulla Little Terns & Hooded Plover

To: <>
Subject: South Coast Ulladulla Little Terns & Hooded Plover
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:47:20 +1100
A quick family visit to Lakes entrance of Lake Conjola. There is a small but thriving breeding group of Little Terns at the opening of the lake to the sea on the southern side. I was told the lone Hooded Plover had moved on. I did see Sanderlings on the beach side. Plenty of species birds around E Curlew, Bar-tailed Godwit, Red Capped Plovers, Great Cormorant, Wonga Pigeon, ...
1 x White Headed Pigeon ( Milton).
1 x Hooded Plover seen on Racecourse Beach, Ulladulla. There was a protected nest well signposted. Unfortunately not all dog owners were keeping their dogs away. The easiest way to get there was from a caravan park on the southern approach to Ulladulla. Racecourse Creek intsects the road, is marked and north of the van park. Yesterday there was a walking entry to the van park on the southern end. It is a short walk from there to the beach. There are multiple tracks over the sand dunes. There was fencing happening at the van park but it looked to me as if the park is required to keep public access to the beach. Certainly locals were using the park as entrance to the beach to walk their dogs.
Julienne