canberrabirds

Magpie-lark with attitude

To: martin butterfield <>
Subject: Magpie-lark with attitude
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:54:11 +1100
Martin
Some Magpie larks are still breeding. Two pairs which lost their earlier breeding attempts were building new nests two-three weeks ago - probably triggered by the November rain fall, so the behaviour might be associated with territory defence. There was some incidents a fair few years ago at ANU where a Magpie-lark pecked people in the eye while they were enoying a cup of coffee on the outside tables. I have often wondered why. It seems that the birds was quite tame, spending a lot of time around the tables picking up scraps. The bird may have 'read' eye movement as insect movement?
Con

martin butterfield wrote:
After receivng the following message from a nearby resident (I identified the bird as a magpie lark) I rode over to the locale and watched her get attacked vigorously by a male magpie-lark every time she ran through the bird's domain. It made no attempt to attack me on my bike. It is difficult for this lady to run anywhere without passing this spot so "run somewhere else" doesn't work. From HANZAB it appears that breeding is likely to have stopped by the end of this month, but given the length of the current aggression I don't think this can be guaranteed. It has actually caused her injury and doesn't seem to attack anyone else (she is rather tall - my height plus) so getting the Council to do something about the bird is a low probability option. I have suggested trying the eyes on the back of the hat option. Does anyone have any other ideas that I could pass on to her? Martin " ... every day I go running and I have been doing this for the last 17 years without any bother at all until last August, when a bird looking something like a miniature magpie with a high-pitched squeal of a shriek but not a magpie and not a plover started swooping on me each time I went down the street and back up again over a distance of about 150 m. I figured that maybe it had a nest nearby but I never ventured off the road because I was running and had no interest in trying to find the bird's nest. So that was August, and it continued swooping on me twice each run, twice a day so therefore four times a day in September, October, November and it is still doing it in December long after any eggs that may have been laid should have hatched and the offspring flown away. "Over all this time, the bird has become more aggressive. If I am wearing my sunhat it has actually come down and hit my sunhat with its wings, it is out waiting for me at five o'clock in the morning and the only time I can go running without being attacked by this bird is in the middle of the night. When I run down the road I see it on a branch and as soon as it sees me it swoops towards me and I have to put up my hand or hold up a stick to keep it from attacking my head and I am getting rather tired of this because the bird is getting closer and closer to doing me some damage for whatever reason I have no idea because I have never left the road because I am running."